Locations Throughout

Can I Sue a Trucking Company After an Accident?

Can I Sue a Trucking Company After an Accident?

Being in a truck accident is a life-changing event that would leave anybody reeling. If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident with a semi-truck or other big rig, one of your biggest questions may be “Can I sue the trucking company?”

The short answer from the experts at California’s Premier Truck Accident Lawyers is maybe, depending on the circumstances of your accident.

While no two truck accidents are identical, most cases in which negligence can be proven fall into one of three categories:

  1. Driver negligence – Truck drivers can be found at-fault for accidents caused by distracted driving, driving under the influence, and other types of unsafe or illegal driving.
  2. Manufacturer negligence – Companies that manufacture trucks and truck parts can be found liable when an accident is caused by a defective vehicle or part.
  3. Company negligence – Truck-driving requires specific licensing and training. A trucking company can be held responsible if it hired a driver without an adequate license or driving record, or if the company failed to properly train the driver. A trucking company can also be found at-fault if an accident is caused by improper vehicle maintenance.

In California, more than one party can be found at fault for an accident and responsible for injuries and damages. For example, it may be determined that a trucking company is 60% responsible for an accident because it failed to maintain the truck’s breaks, while the truck’s driver is responsible for the remaining 40% because of an unsafe driving maneuver. If your accident involved multiple vehicles, there may be multiple drivers or companies at fault.

In most truck accident cases, you can file a lawsuit against any party that is found at least partially at fault for your accident. This is where things can get messy ⸺ with multiple at-fault parties, there will likely be multiple insurance companies involved. The best way to ensure you can file and win a lawsuit is to hire a lawyer with truck accident expertise.

Next Steps

The first step to recovering damages is to hire the right lawyer. Don’t wait too long; California’s statute of limitations for filing a truck accident claim is two years from the date of the accident in most situations.

In the meantime, if you hear from the opposing party or their insurance company, it is best not to communicate with them. This includes if they make you a settlement offer. You should also gather any evidence you may have related to the accident, such as photos, police reports, and medical bills.

Premier Truck Accident Lawyers has recovered millions of dollars for accident victims in California. We have decades of experience seeking compensation for property damage, medical expenses, disability, wrongful death, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Give us a call at 866-999-9085 or fill out our online form to get started with a free, no-obligation case evaluation.

The Peck Law Group
Steven Peck

About the Author

For over 40 years Steven Peck's dedication to law has been unyielding. His approach to client representation and care is deeply respected by his colleagues and clients alike. Steven has extensive trial experience, with millions of dollars in damages recovered for clients in lawsuits throughout California.

Free Case Evaluation

    *Please do not include any confidential or sensitive information in this form. This form sends information by non-encrypted e-mail which is not secure. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship. For more information, please read our Privacy Policy.

    Bar Affiliations and Memberships

    Premier Truck Accident Lawyers stays up to date and in touch with the legal community through various memberships and affiliations.